The Value of Christmas Trees

"...there is no reason why the joy associated with the Christmas evergreen may not be a means of arousing in the minds of children an appreciation of the beauty and usefulness of trees; and keen appreciation of the beauty and usefulness of trees is a long stop toward the will to plant and care for them (Arthur Sowder, US Forest Service, 1949)."

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Doug's Color Wheel

Doug Hundley was telling me the other day that he was explaining to a newer grower all the different times of year you could control the different Fraser fir pests. It's amazing how much our knowledge of pest control has changed even over the past few years. When treating for one pest, you can target others that you have as well, either by your choice of pesticides or how thoroughly you spray.

He told me that he took the white paper plate he and the grower were beating pests on, and he drew different color circles to represent the times of year you could control different pests. I thought it was a great idea. So I put together this color wheel. I haven't talked to Doug or others yet to see if my circles correspond to theirs, so let's talk about it. Email me your comments. I can change it however folks see fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment